Saturday, January 30, 2010

I'm Not a Vegetarian

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

My line used to be I eat more vegetables than vegetarians eat meat. I have since then added more vegetables to my regular diet. Tonight's supper was meat-free. Strange.

I made Burgundy Mushrooms from The Pioneer Woman Cooks today. I was going to make them on Wednesday, so Tuesday evening I pulled out the cookbook to check out what I needed to get for groceries to make it. I wasn't even reading the instructions when my eye caught the words "cover with lid and simmer for 6 hours." I read it again and then the next step which was "uncover and simmer for 3 hours." I knew then that it wasn't a weekday supper recipe. I would have to save it for the weekend. This morning I got up and put everything together and on the stove.

Nine hours later I was having supper. It is recommended to serve with crusty bread to sop up the juices. I served it over couscous. The mushrooms are really yummy and I can see making them again. This serves as my good intention to cook from a different cookbook each month. Now I know the internet rule - if there is no picture, it didn't happen.

For the most part I'm happy with how I did with my good intentions this month. One craft project completed, one new recipe tried and some Christmas ornaments made. The photography good intentions didn't work out as well, but there is always room to improve. Next month I won't worry too much about my intentions, with the intention of trying again in March.

No comments: